Clinician’s LGBTQIA Learning Platform
The Clinician’s LGBTQIA Learning Platform is an online training site to increase your clinical skills in working with LGBTQIA, transgender and gender non conforming clients. Classes are presented in video format that you can complete at your own pace for 30 days.
CEU: Trans 202: Gender Dysphoria: An Introduction, Co-occurring Disorders and Clinical Interventions
Please join Katie Leikam, MSW, LCSW, LISW-CP and member of WPATH (The World professional Association of Transgender Health), who is a speaker at the Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference. Katie is In process of WPATH GEI certification, where she will receive 50 direct hours of education about Transgender health. Katie is an affirming clinician.
This 5 hour training is an in depth look at Gender dysphoria and how it affects our clients on a daily basis. The training covers how co-occurring disorders interact with gender dysphoria as well as teaches effective clinical interventions for working with clients who are experiencing negative effects of gender dysphoria such as low self esteem, negative self talk and depression.
- Understand the gender dysphoria diagnosis for children and youth and adults
- Understand the continuum of gender identity and the spectrum of gender identity.
- Increase knowledge of co-occurring disorders with gender dysphoria including bipolar disorder, GAD, substance use, eating disorders and more to clinical cases.
- Learn the difference between body dysphoria and gender dysphoria and co-morbidity.
- Learn three clinical modalities directly related to gender dysphoria and how to implement them in treatment including mindful self compassion, solution focused therapy and CBT
In Person Presentations & Training
Katie Leikam, LCSW, LISW-CP, DC-TMH is available to give presentations and training to your organization. Katie Leikam is a member of WPATH, The World Professional Association for Transgender Health and is in process of her WPATH GEI certification, which is over 50 hours of Trans* health education. Katie is an affirming clinician who has worked with over 100 clients who identity as transgender. As a speaker at The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference, Katie will bring education and knowledge to your organization in a direct, easy to understand manner to facilitate education of transgender mental health awareness. Please contact Katie to request a presentation at your office by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org.
Presentation topics include:
- Affirmation to transgender clients
- Co-occurring disorders
- Intake paperwork
- Treating Gender Dysphoria
- Understanding the gender dysphoria diagnosis
- Clinical treatment modalities for gender dysphoria
- Cultural competence with gender diverse clients
- Intersectionality of transgender and LGBTQIA clients
- Writing hormone and gender confirmation surgery letters
Upcoming In Person CEU Events
LGBTQ Community and Spirituality: Incorporating Ethical Clinical Practices
Join Katie Leikam, LCSW as she teaches a 5 hour ethics CEU on the LGBTQ community and spirituality: Incorporating Ethical Clinical Practices.
Katie Leikam, LCSW is a gender therapist in Decatur GA who is a member of The World Professional Association of Transgender Health and works extensively with the LGBTQ, transgender and non- binary community throughout Georgia and South Carolina. Katie is a secular therapist with experience working with clients through religious trauma and reclaiming spirituality as well as working with non-religious clients. Katie is a previous speaker at The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference, Gender Odyssey Los Angeles and The National Trans Health Conference. She is in the process of receiving her WPATH certification.
We will have a day filled with ethical discussion of working with LGBTQ clients and spirituality including working with clients that aren’t spiritual and helping your clients ethically cope with religious trauma. We will discuss the ethics of our own spirituality in the therapy office as well.
The objectives of this course are:
- To increase the clinical knowledge of religious trauma within the LGBTQ community
- Implement ethical clinical practices when working with the LGBTQ community members of faith
- Implement ethical clinical practices when working with LGBTQ communities that are not religious
- Challenge bias in the therapy room when working with spirituality
When: March 1st, 2019
Where: Northstar in Athens, GA
Time: Doors 8:30am Class 9:00 am to 3:30pm
Cost: 90.00 for 5 hours of ethics CEU pending approval by GSCSW for 5 ethics hours for social workers and pending approval for 5 ethics hours by LPCA for LPC’s.
TRANS* 202: Gender Dysphoria: An overview of Co-Occurring Disorders and Clinical Interventions
Please join Katie Leikam, LCSW, LISW-CP for a training for ethically and clinically working with transgender and non-binary clients. Katie Leikam is a member of WPATH, speaker with the Trans Health and Education Alliance and was a presenter at The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference and Gender Odyssey.
- Understand the presentation of gender dysphoria diagnosis with children, adolescents and adults
- Understand the continuum of gender identity
- Understand co-occurring disorders with gender dysphoria including bipolar disorder, GAD, depression, substance use, eating disorders and more.
- Learn the difference between body dysphoria and gender dysphoria and how they can be related
- Learn three clinical modalities directly related to gender dysphoria and how to implement them using gender affirming treatment including solution focused therapy, mindful self-compassion and CBT
When: Friday, March 22nd, 2019 9:00am-3:30pm at True You Southeast 315 W. Ponce de Leon Ave, Suite 1055 Decatur, GA 30030
Cost: 100.00 for 5 hours of training (5 core CEU’s applied for via The Georgia Society for Clinical Social Workers and LPCA GA)
Solution Focused Therapy: It’s not just teaching A to B to C
Please join Katie Leikam, LCSW, LISW-CP for a training for learning all about using solution focused therapy to truly help your clients make changes and find a solution to their specific concerns. Katie Leikam is a member of WPATH, speaker with the Trans Health and Education Alliance and was a presenter at The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference and Gender Odyssey. Katie has been using solution focused therapy for 8 years and specializes in working with the LGBTQ community with anxiety, relationship stress and with gender identity.
You have heard about solution focused therapy for years and you might even be using some aspects of it in your practice. In this course, we will fine tune your skills and practice of using solution focused therapy in the therapy room so you can be effective of allowing clients to reach their goals.
- Understand the what solution focused therapy is and what it really looks like in practice.
- Understand the intricacies of solution focused therapy and why it’s not just goal setting with the client.
- Interact with other therapists using role play and exercises to learn at least 3 solution focused interventions with your clients.
- Practice the miracle question and work through resistance from clients with solution focused therapy.
When: Saturday April 13th, 2019 9:00am-12:15pm at True You Southeast 315 W. Ponce de Leon Ave, Suite 1055 Decatur, GA 30030
Cost: 60.00 for 3 hours of training (3 core CEU’s applied for via The Georgia Society for Clinical Social Workers and LPCA GA)
Working with clients with Autism who are Transgender and Non-Binary
Please join Katie Leikam, LCSW, LISW-CP for a training for learning about working with gender identity with clients on the Autism Spectrum. Katie Leikam is a member of WPATH, speaker with the Trans Health and Education Alliance and was a presenter at The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference and Gender Odyssey. Katie specializes in working with the LGBTQ community gender identity and has worked with many clients with Autism who are gender expansive and transgender.
- Understand the research on the occurrence of Autism and transgender and non-binary clients.
- Learn how to best support clients who have Autism that are exploring their gender identity.
- Learn how to talk to and ethically include parents of children with Autism that are heavily involved in the treatment of their child.
- Practice interventions to work with clients with Autism that are transgender including solution focused therapy and mindfulness.
When: Friday June 21st, 2019 9:00am-12:15pm at True You Southeast 315 W. Ponce de Leon Ave, Suite 1055 Decatur, GA 30030
Cost: 65.00 for 3 hours of training (3 core CEU’s applied for via The Georgia Society for Clinical Social Workers and LPCA GA)
Upcoming & Past Presentations:
Gender Odyssey in Los Angeles
Teaching Self Affirmations for Gender Dysphoria in a Clinical Setting: Teaching the “I Am”
Saturday, Jun 23rd 2018, 1:30pm – 2:50pm, Cypress
Clients experiencing gender dysphoria can have a challenging time expressing self-affirmations and self-love. This workshop will use evidence-based clinical interventions such as Gestalt therapy and mindful self-compassion to teach attendees how to process self-affirmations with clients with severe gender dysphoria. In changing from the clinician’s “you are” to the client’s “I am,” clients will leave sessions with an ability to practice self-compassionate statements. Katie Leikam, LCSW, will also explore case studies where self-affirmations have been helpful in developing clients’ ability to have self-love, self-compassion, and increased self-esteem through gender dysphoria. Attendees will leave with an understanding of practical tools and interventions for teaching clients to make self-affirmations during therapy.
The Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference
Effective Communication and Relationship Building with your Cisgender Partner
Friday, August 3rd, 10:15am – 11:15am, Room 121A
Learn how to effectively communicate about your transition with your cisgender partner. Topics of conversation to discuss before you start transitioning and during your transition will be discussed openly. Some of these include family, finances and fertility.
The National Trans Health Conference
November 8th-10th 2018
Mental Wellness Through Social Transition
This presentation includes an introduction to social transition for youth including transitioning to parents, family, friends and at school. We will learn how to best promote mental wellness during social transition. Participants will learn how to use techniques of mindful self-compassion to teach clients self-affirmations during transition.